24 November 2008

nVidia and colour profiles revisited

Just a little heads-up.
A good while ago, I agonised over nVidias video drivers, which tended to override my carefully calibrated colour profiles in Windows Vista.
While the ideal solution would be if nVidia could stay away from the colour calibrations in the first place, a second best could be to fool nVidia into loading its profile first, and then let the calibrated profile override nVidia's.
That's what I've been doing.
Manually.
I've kept a shortcut on the desktop for the little program that loads my ColorSpyder profile at need.
Then enter a little program called Startup Delayer. It's freeware, and solves this problem very neatly. It takes a look at all the programs that you run whenever you start your PC, and lets you assign delays to each. The sample screenshot below is from my PC, with a small delay to the ColorVision startup. In my previous post I mentioned 30 seconds, I'm currently reinstalling my system on a faster drive, and 15 seconds seems about right this time.
If you're one of those who have a ton of little gadgets running at startup, I bet you can shorten the required time for PC booting by a fair bit too. :-)
Hereby warmly recommended!

No comments: